If the Snuggie could be duplicated in food form, it would be this soup. Warm, comforting and nourishing, this soup makes the most of some very humble ingredients. We are using some leftover Thanksgiving ham to create a healthy and hearty soup for this week!
Split Pea Soup with Ham
- 1 pckg. dried, green split peas (about 2 cups)
- 1 organic yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves organic garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 organic carrots, peeled and cut into small, half rounds
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock or low sodium store bought
- 1 pasture-raised cured ham steak or 2 cups leftover ham
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground pepper, to taste
- In a stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook until onions are soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Chop ham steak into 1/2″ cubes and add to pot. Stir well and cook 1-2 minutes. Remove about 1/2 of the ham and set aside.
- Add chicken stock and split peas. Stir well.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one hour or until peas are soft. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Use an immersion blender (CAUTION: soup is hot!!!) and blend the soup to a creamy consistency.
- Return reserved ham to pot and cook on medium/low heat until soup is thick and creamy (another 20-40 minutes).
- Serve immediately. Garnish with a dollop of Greek yogurt.