I have been wanting to try these high protein breakfast toasts for some time now, but it’s a delicate balance with avocados. You have to plan your meals around when they are ready, and for some reason, this has rarely coincided with when I have extra time in the morning. One silver lining of yet another snow day is that we had a relaxing morning to experiment with some new breakfast dishes.
I think I am in love with this breakfast. Eggs are by far and away one of my favorite breakfast foods (they run a close popularity race with steel cut oats), and the pairing of scrambled eggs and avocado is pretty magical. I had my toasts fairly pure–just sprouted grain toast, mashed avocado and scrambled egg–but you could easily go crazy with this by adding bacon, crispy prosciutto, smoked salmon, a bit of salsa, cheese or whatever you happen to be craving in the morning.
Total assembly time was 15 minutes, so they don’t take long to prepare and clean up is fairly quick as well. I ate both toasts for breakfast because I was feeling pretty hungry, but on a normal morning, one would probably be enough. I would gladly have this for dinner, too, especially on nights when I am a bit rushed!
Using this recipe, each toast has 311 calories, 12 grams of protein and 9 grams of fiber. Using regular bread or adding extras on top will change the nutritional value slightly.
Breakfast Toasts (makes two open-face toasts)
- 2 slices organic sprouted grain bread (I used Ezekiel sesame bread)
- 1 ripe, organic avocado
- 2 fresh farm eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the bread to your liking (I tend to like it crispy). Set aside.
- Remove the pit from the avocado and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Mash it well with the back of a fork.
- In another small bowl, whisk the two eggs. Cook in a small, non-stick pan over medium heat. I like them scrambled, but you could make them over-easy or fried as well.
- Assemble the toasts by spreading the mashed avocado onto each toast. Top with the scrambled egg. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and/or pepper, if you like.
- Serve immediately.