While summers in North Carolina are known for peaches and watermelon, the sweetest peaches actually come to market in the early fall, around Labor Day. We’ve enjoyed our peaches in smoothies, in both sweet and savory jam and cooked with chicken and pork. This spicy chicken dish is made easy in the crock pot, which keeps my kitchen from getting hot during these late summer, humid days. It brings together some of late summer’s stars–sweet peaches and bell peppers–along with fresh onions and garlic. Fresh corn off the cob would be terrific in this dish as well! We have eaten this chicken in homemade tostadas (above pics and recipe below), over rice and just plain. You could also make tacos with it. It is very flavorful and a nice, spicy dish before chili weather kicks in.
I did use some canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, but you could also roast your own chili peppers and use them and that would be delicious as well!
Crock Pot Chipotle Peach Chicken (makes about 6 cups)
- 2 Tsp. organic coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1-2 sweet, bell peppers, trimmed and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 quart fresh, ripe peaches, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (vary to your taste)
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat until melted.
- Add onion and bell peppers, stir, and saute for about 10 minutes. Vegetables should be soft.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Put the vegetable mixture into the bowl of a crock pot.
- Layer the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables.
- Top the chicken thighs with the chopped peaches and chilis/adobo sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Chicken should be cooked through and tender enough to shred with two forks.
- Drain extra liquid from the chicken mixture (discard liquid), shred the chicken with two forks and use in recipes as needed.
Chipotle Peach Chicken Tostadas (serves 4)
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 tsp. organic coconut oil
- 2 cups organic black beans, cooked (or canned)
- 4 cups Crock Pot Chipotle Peach Chicken (above), warmed
- 2 cups Queso Fresco or farmer’s cheese
- 2 avocados
- 2 green onions, trimmed and chopped (white and light green parts only)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium high heat. One at a time, add the tortillas to the skillet and cook about 1 minute on each side. Set the tortillas on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Top each tortilla with 1/2 cup black beans, 1 cup of the chicken mixture, 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Bake tostadas for about 10-12 minutes. Cheese should be melted and the tostadas should be hot.
- Serve immediately topped with avocado and chopped green onion.