It has been a long time since I’ve posted to my little blog, and much has happened to shake things up around here. First, the weather–how ridiculous has that been? I keep expecting a summer snow-nado to come barreling down my street followed by a plague of locusts. It could still happen. In the midst of crazy weather, Ellie and Tom have started softball season, which throws us all into a temporary crazy schedule. But the final, and bigger thing, is that Tom and I are training for a marathon this fall and registered for the Disney Goofy Challenge in January. Because, you know, nothing else is going on. So we need quick, easy dishes that are healthy, locally based and filling.
This dish is a very soul and tummy satisfying meal that we through together with ingredients we had on hand. You could substitute chard or spinach for the kale if you like, depending on what is in season. It freezes well, so it can be ready in a snap on those busy nights!
Pasta with Kale, Sausage and Tomato (6-8 servings)
- 13 ounces dried tomato penne pasta (or your favorite pasta shape)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb. locally produced Italian sausage, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 bunch kale, washed, trimmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil pesto
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Soak the tomatoes in hot water according to the directions. Drain and reserve.
- Bring a stock pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
- While water is heating, warm the olive oil in a large skillet to medium.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until onions are soft. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring well so garlic does not brown.
- Remove the onion and garlic from the pan and reserve.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook to al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, add the sausage to the pan and cook until browned with no pink remaining.
- Add the kale, sun dried tomatoes, onion/garlic mixture and pesto, stirring well to coat everything with pesto.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Add the pasta to the skillet and toss everything well. If pasta is dry, add some of the pasta liquid to the skillet.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.