Kale is like that popular kid in school who got so much positive attention that other kids starting hating him, just because. You know what I’m talking about, right? Well, kale can be kind of like that–so good and so talked about that people get irritated before they have even tried being friends. Kale is one of those trendy food fads that is sticking with us for the long haul, though. It is just so good and so good for you that it’s hard for me to just roll my eyes at the popular kid and walk away. Kale, I’m saving you a seat at my lunch table.
I saw this recipe in Cooking Light and thought it sounded like a terrific recipe to try now, when we are trying to increase our running mileage. It is hearty, but doesn’t leave you with regret, and it is packed with fall goodness. It’s a perfect dinner the night before a long run, and I’m betting it makes great leftovers (although we ate the whole thing, so I don’t know for sure). It is also a super quick recipe to make–which is good because weeknights are complicated enough. I’ve made some very minor modifications to the original recipe and doubled the amounts to make enough for a family, but this is fairly similar to the original.
Pasta with Kale, Bacon and Sun Dried Tomatoes (makes 4 servings)
- 16 ounces dried, organic pasta
- 1 bundle of organic kale, washed, stemmed and chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 dried chili pepper chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes)
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lemon
- Put a pot of heavily salted water to boil for the pasta.
- When pasta water comes to a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook until almost done. Add the kale to the pot, stir well and cook another 3 minutes or until kale is wilted. Drain and reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it is crisp. Remove bacon to some paper towels to drain.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from the pan and return the pan to medium heat.
- Add the onions to the pan and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat and add the sun dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, and red pepper. Stir well and heat through.
- Add the drained pasta/kale mix and the pasta water to the skillet. Heat through and toss all ingredients together.
- Serve topped with crumbled bacon, cheese and a drizzle of lemon juice.