I love steel cut oats on a chilly morning and I really love chocolate. This spicy chocolate pecan oatmeal tastes decadent, but is actually super healthy. You could leave out the maple syrup for an even healthier version. We used raw cacao powder, which I like better than processed cocoa because it has so many antioxidants and a richer taste.
Spicy Chocolate Pecan Oatmeal (makes 4-6 servings)
- 1cup steel cut oats
- 4 cups organic, vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup raw, organic cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon dried, ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon dried cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Add the first 5 ingredients to the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir well.
- Cook on the lowest setting (I use the “keep warm” setting on mine), cook oatmeal 7 hours or overnight.
- Stir well (the cacao may rise to the top– just stir it back in) and add additional almond milk if the oatmeal is too dry.
- Serve with a sprinkle of pecans and a drizzle of maple syrup.