We have loads of fresh broccoli available from our local farmers right now and it is absolutely delicious! I’ve never been able to grow broccoli myself, so I appreciate the efforts of those who have the right touch. Broccoli is one of our favorite vegetables, and we are eating as much as we can while it’s in season.
This broccoli soup is very heart healthy, low in fat and (if you leave off the sprinkle of Parmesan), vegan! It is thick and creamy, but uses no cream at all. Instead, potatoes fill in for cream and also add a hearty weight to this dish.
Broccoli Potato Soup (makes 4 servings)
- 1 organic, yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves organic garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 quart homemade or organic vegetable stock
- 1/2 lb. organic baby red potatoes, washed and cut in half
- 1 large head of fresh broccoli, florets and stems chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or stock pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add the vegetable stock and increase heat to medium high.
- Add the potatoes and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the pot and reduce heat to medium. Add water if necessary to just cover vegetables. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to VERY CAREFULLY blend all ingredients in the pot. Taste and correct seasonings as needed.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.