October! October is here!!! It’s still in 80’s here in North Carolina, so we’re not exactly feelin’ the fall weather, but all the same, we know fall is approaching. Leaves are starting to turn, the often oppressive humidity is gone and mosquitoes are fewer in number. Every region has their own seasonal benchmarks. You may have fall hayrides, we have a decline in blood-sucking mosquitoes.
I’d love to have nothing but chili, stew and baked pasta this week, but it’s too warm for such cozy fare. Instead, we are focusing on lighter foods that still feature our seasonal fruits and vegetables. I am especially excited that I found fresh, organic Shitake mushrooms at our downtown farmer’s market! Apparently, our fall weather has been perfect for them!
I also had great success with making my own refried beans this week! It was very easy, and I used some heirloom beans leftover from making chili, so it was a good use of extra food. I made the refried beans on the bland side so I can add whatever spices I want later. We’re using them on bean tostatas later this week along with some leftover tortillas and cheese. We also have extra corn and leftover crab meat (now frozen) from a few weeks ago and that will make a lovely corn and crab chowder. Don’t you love it when leftover foods come together in something that approximates a meal?
Our budget this week is definitely helped by Tom’s fishing success and a weekly coupon from Locals Seafood. Every little bit helps, especially when the cost of food keeps rising.
Breakfasts this week include Ezekiel bread, muffins, and probably some whole wheat buttermilk pancakes. We are using our homemade jam, which is wonderful and we will get another jar of local honey in this week’s Produce Box!
I hope you are taking advantage of some wonderful fall produce in your area (or spring if you are in the southern hemisphere!). Have a happy and healthy week!
- The Produce Box (acorn squash, honey, sweet onions, lettuce, apples, corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow squash, green beans, mixed sweet peppers): $48.00
- Locals Seafood (shrimp): $10.00
- Hilltop Farm Organics (Shitake mushrooms): $4.30
- Mitchell Family Pantry (jam): $3.00
- Hillsborough Cheese Company (goat cheese): $6.00
- Trader Joes (pasta, organic rice, organic chicken, frozen fruit, almond milk, almonds): $38.21
Menu for Week 42
- Wednesday–Roasted red pepper, mushroom and shrimp pasta, salad
- Thursday–Leftovers (we have some left from last week!)
- Friday–Game night–Refried bean, mushroom and cheese tostatas
- Saturday–Corn and crab chowder
- Sunday–Roast chicken, acorn squash with honey and sage, green beans
- Monday–Game night–Chicken and vegetable quesadillas
- Tuesday–Roasted whole fish, squash and zucchini saute