I love Caprese salad, with its layers of fresh mozzarella, juicy tomatoes and brightly flavored basil. It really is the essence of summer. But Caprese salad is hard to eat while hot footing it to a softball practice, so this is Caprese in sandwich form. Grilled. With some smoky prosciutto. And pesto. Yum! Summer on the run!
Grilled Caprese Sandwiches (makes 1 sandwich)
- 2 slices fresh bread
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 2 slices fresh tomato
- 1 large slice fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 thin slices prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- While butter is melting, assemble the sandwiches by spreading the basil pesto on one side of a slice of bread. Top pesto with tomato, cheese and prosciutto. Add second slice of bread.
- When butter stops bubbling. Add the sandwich to the pan, browning one side.
- Using a spatula, lift the sandwich up, put the last 1/2 of the butter in the pan and flip the sandwich to brown the other side.
- Sandwich is done when the bread is nicely browned and crispy and the cheese is melty.