We are in high tomato and fruit season here in central North Carolina. Our constant rains are gone and the sun is bringing everything back to life. It’s going to be a super tomato-licious week this week! We are having tomatoes in all kinds of ways–baked, sautéed, in salad and in sandwiches. I can’t wait! I love tomatoes! What is your favorite summer vegetable?
Our budget this week is coming back into line with our goals. It is taking a LOT of self-restraint on my part because everything looks so wonderful! The thing that saves me is that it is so hot, I do NOT want to cook anything.
I do have some fun plans this week. For the first time ever, I am roasting a whole fish. I’ve never done that before, but I hear it is very, very good. We had whole fish all the time in Paris, and somehow I managed to figure out a fish fork, but at home we usually buy fillets. Fillets are easy, but they are also more expensive than buying a whole fish, so I hope we like it! I’m also going to try a terrific panzanella salad idea that I picked up from Gravy, a Raleigh restaurant. The salad involves peaches, tomatoes, whole grain bread croutons and pork belly–I mean really, how could that combination possibly go wrong??? Will post recipes for whatever is successful this week!
Enjoy this summer weather and get out to those farmer’s markets!
- The Produce Box (eggplant, heirloom cherry tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, blackberries): $24.50
- La Farm (sandwich bread): $6.75
- Locals Seafood (red drum, white perch): $17.30
- Various organic vendors (peaches, blue potatoes, green beans, zucchini, squash, tomatoes): $21.50
- Trader Joes (limes, avocado, frozen fruit, organic butter): $24.32
- Mitchell Family Pantry (jam, barbecue sauce): $6.00
- Wednesday–Pulled chipotle chicken sliders, corn, garden cucumbers
- Thursday–Egg salad
- Friday–Roasted whole red drum, green beans, corn
- Saturday–Eggplant and tomatoes al forno
- Sunday–Pan seared white perch, roasted baby blue potatoes
- Monday–Tomato and peach panzanella salad with bacon
- Tuesday–ABT sandwiches (avocado, bacon and tomato), parmesan zucchini chips