Summer, summer, summer is here! Not “officially”, I know, but in reality we are in lovely, lovely summer here in central North Carolina. The markets are bursting with goodness and we are in high blueberry season once again! What is your favorite food of summer? I think mine is ripe tomatoes, but I love it all.
This week’s menu focuses on some rather quick dinners as we are still finishing up softball season and games invariably fall around supper time. We are having some delicious fish this week and some grilled pork with our new mango cardamom jam–I can’t wait!!!
Our little garden is coming along, but we have much more success in our yard with a winter garden. I think the plants benefit from the leaves coming off the trees in our yard. Still, we plant our tomatoes and squash and cucumber and hope for the best!
- The Produce Box (ALL ORGANIC: blueberries, potatoes, kale, broccoli, Napa cabbage, sugar snap peas, cauliflower): $26.50
- Locals Seafood (mackerel fillets): $12.00
- Mae Farm (pork chops): $15.00
- Hillsborough Cheese Company (mozzarella): $6.00
- Melina’s Pasta (spinach fettuccine): $6.00
- Wild Onion Farm (organic cucumber, organic yellow squash): $4.00
- Old Milbourne Farm (fennel): $2.00
- Homestead Harvest Farm (eggs): $5.00
- Trader Joes (frozen fruit, yogurt, soy milk, olives, salt): $29.42
- Wednesday–Game Night! Overnight blueberry oatmeal (really)
- Thursday–Chicken & veggie stir fry w/ spicy peanut sauce, rice
- Friday–Napa salad with vegetables and leftover peanut sauce
- Saturday–Fish with tomatoes and fennel, roasted new potatoes
- Sunday–Grilled pork chops w/mango cardamom jam, zucchini
- Monday–Game Night! Bagel pizzas with homemade roasted tomato sauce and Hillsborough Cheese Co. Mozzarella
- Tuesday–Spinach fettuccine with cauliflower cream sauce, mushrooms and leftover pork chops
Have a wonderful week, get out to your local farmer’s markets and cook some wonderful, healthy foods!