We have had a wonderful spring and early summer so far. The constant rains have tapered off and now we actually have some sun and warm weather. The farmer’s markets are filling up again with all kinds of delicious fruits and vegetables–I just wish I could slow down time a bit so I could really take it all in! Our budget is back in line with our $100 or less goal at $90.20. The pulled pork is actually from last week (Mae Farm in Louisburg sells fabulous frozen, smoked pork barbecue made with their amazing pork!)–we never had a chance to defrost it, so we’re moving it on over to this week! As usual, we are “paying ourselves back” for our canned and frozen foods from last summer.
With Tom and Ellie both playing softball, and me ramping up my running (toward a 1/2 marathon, maybe?) we’ve had a lot to cheer on this spring. We are heading toward home plate now, with the last of this season’s games and tournaments, plus end-of-grade testing (hate.it) and all the special events that the end of school entails. This means dinners need to be quick, portable, nutritious and light. The “quick” and “portable” aspects are the most difficult for me, but it’s a nice challenge to have.
All you soccer/baseball/soccer moms and dads out there–what to you like to serve on game nights?
- The Produce Box (organic green beans, double blueberries, sweet onions, yellow squash, zucchini, potatoes, organic beets): $26.00
- Hillsborough Cheese Company (herbed goat cheese and goat cheese spread): $9.75
- Mae Farm (sausages): $10.00
- Homestead Harvest Farm (eggs): $5.00
- Wild Onion Farm (broccoli, sugar snap peas): $3.o0
- Trader Joes (puff pastry, shredded pepper jack, frozen fruit, soy milk, yogurt, whole wheat flour): $27.45
- Mitchell Family Pantry (sticky fig jam, blackberry jam, raspberry jam): $9.00
- Wednesday–Roasted vegetable, fig and goat cheese tart, salad
- Thursday–Game day! Pulled Mae Farm pork sandwiches, fruit salad
- Friday–Pulled pork, sweet potato and caramelized onion quesadillas
- Saturday–Game day! Salads on the run!
- Sunday–Mae Farm grilled sausages with blackberry ketchup, potato salad, green beans
- Monday–Game night! Pasta salad with local roasted veggies and goat cheese
- Tuesday–leftover pasta salad