The farmer’s markets are once again bustling with shoppers and bursting with late spring goodies! We are also getting more fresh tuna and fresh shrimp from the NC coast and that is reflected in our budget this week (it’s too good to pass up!). We are over budget by $22.59, but we have been under budget the last two weeks, so I guess it all works out in the end. My budget was helped slightly by a terrific electronic coupon from Locals Seafood, which saved me $5.00!
This week’s budget also reflects our need to use up some of the wonderful things we canned last year–jam, pickles, salsa–and some vegetables we froze (field peas, roasted tomato sauce). Since we don’t count our “stock up” expenses in our weekly budget, we figure a “per container” rate and pay ourselves back when we use them.
What is on your menu this week? Are you finding new foods at the market? We are so glad to see sugar snap peas again! Have a healthy and happy week ahead!
- The Produce Box (blueberries, broccoli, tomato, romaine lettuce, potatoes, kale, bok choi, sourdough bread): $32.25
- Locals Seafood (yellow fin tuna): $20.00
- Mae Farm (pulled pork barbecue): $8.00
- Trader Joes (fresh ginger, organic butter, pasta, frozen fruit, soy milk): $25.34
- Wild Onion Organic Farm (celery, carrots, yellow squash): $10.00
- Homestead Harvest Farm (eggs): $5.00
- HillTop Farm Organics (strawberries, sugar snap peas): $8.00
- Mitchell family pantry (jam, pickles, salsa, field peas, roasted tomato sauce): $14.00
- Wednesday–Farmer’s market salad
- Thursday–Egg salad sandwiches on local sourdough, homemade pickles
- Friday–Grilled tuna steaks with stir fried vegetables
- Saturday–Out for our anniversary!
- Sunday–Mae Farm pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, greens
- Monday–Pulled pork hoe cakes with homemade salsa, field peas
- Tuesday–Ellie’s spaghetti tacos with homemade roasted tomato sauce