It is Memorial Day weekend, and in addition to honoring those who have sacrificed to keep us safe and free, it is the unofficial start to summer here in the U.S. In spite of some unseasonably chilly temperatures, we are starting our grilling season in earnest with these grilled barbecue chicken thighs. I know chicken breasts are healthier overall, but to be honest, I just don’t like them. They dry out too easily and take longer to cook. We typically buy boneless, skinless organic chicken thighs instead. They are quick to cook and seem to have loads more flavor than white meat.
For our first grilling session of the spring, we made THIS awesome recipe from Sugar Dish Me. The spicy rub was perfect–sweet and smokey. We used the smoked paprika we had on hand to make it extra smokey! And we used our own charred pepper barbecue sauce that we canned last summer. Yum, yum, and yum!!! This combination is better tasting and better for you than using the prepared seasoning (mostly salt) and commercially bottled barbecue sauce (very high in sugar and fructose corn syrup). We had to show some real restraint and not eat it all up (there was strawberry rhubarb pie, after all, and who wants to miss that???).
If you are in the part of the world just coming into summer, put this recipe on your list of things to try! If you are just beginning fall, well, put this on your list for next year–or just keep on grilling until it snows!
Grilled Barbecue Chicken Thighs (serves 4)
- 1 lb. organic, boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
- Grilling rub from Sugar Dish Me
- 1 cup charred pepper barbecue sauce (or your favorite sauce)
- Mix the spice rub ingredients together per instructions and rub generously into the chicken. Let chicken sit at room temperature while you prepare the grill.
- Preheat your grill and leave on high.
- Add chicken thighs to the hot grill and cook for 2 minutes per side. Lower temperature a bit and baste chicken. Cook for an additional 2 minutes per side.
- Turn one more time and baste chicken with sauce. Cook for an additional 2 minutes per side.
- Check for doneness. Remove from the grill.
- Let rest about 4 minutes and serve.
Happy grilling to all of you!