This is the craziest spring I can remember. It is May 1 and I still have flannel sheets on the beds because the weather is so chilly. Last year, we had an early spring and most crops came in 2-3 weeks early. Not so this year! We do have plenty of salad greens, onions, asparagus and kale coming in. And the Swiss chard in my garden is STILL going gangbusters!
This week’s menu reflects our need to use up what is left in the deep freeze as well as take advantage of all the spring greatness that is out there. We have some quick meals on tap due to softball schedules and a science fair–gotta love spring! We are under budget just a bit at $97.45!
- Locals Seafood (shrimp): $12.00
- The Produce Box (organic veggies: broccoli, kale, arugula, sweet potatoes, radish; conventional asparagus): $28.75
- Homestead Farm (eggs, chicken, chorizo): $20.00
- Trader Joes (sliced turkey, tortillas, pineapple, organic banana, frozen fruit, yogurt, organic mushrooms, organic black beans): $36.70
- Wednesday–Turkey, cheese and arugula pesto roll ups, fruit salad
- Thursday–Swiss chard and kale with eggs
- Friday–Roasted broccoli and shrimp over organic rice
- Saturday–grilled chicken, asparagus, sautéed greens
- Sunday–Sweet potato/black bean/chorizo quesadillas, harvest grains
- Monday–homemade pizza, salad
- Tuesday–pasta with homemade tomato sauce
Have a healthy and tasty week!