Well, while I was gone last week, spring finally arrived in North Carolina! When I left, the trees just had little leaf buds and nothing was blooming. I came home to green, green, green and beautiful spring flowers everywhere! What a glorious time of year!
In addition to all the flowers, our farmers markets are showing signs of spring as well. We have asparagus, strawberries, lettuce and onions! Yay!!! And our Produce Box deliveries start this week as well. Double yay! We are a bit over budget at $106.60 and interestingly, we are not eating much meat this week, but we are eating more seafood, which tends to bump our budget up a bit.
This week’s menu is taking advantage of our spring crops as well as the delicious salads we had in Paris last week. Now that we have reworked our menu for spring, I need to find time to rework my closet!
What’s fresh at your farmer’s market this week?
- Rare Earth Farms (buttermilk, mozzarella, eggs): $14.28
- Locals Seafood (shrimp): $10.00
- The Produce Box (organic kale, organic cucumber, organic hothouse tomato, organic radish, organic pea tendrils): $22.00
- Various farmers market vendors (asparagus, greenhouse tomato, strawberries, romaine lettuce): $19.00
- Trader Joes (chicken thighs, mushrooms, salmon, lemon, frozen fruit, yogurt, Ezekiel bread):$41.32
- Wednesday–Power Salad (kale, lettuce, tomato, avocado, pine nuts, egg)
- Thursday–Slow cooker cashew chicken, rice
- Friday–Pasta with shrimp, asparagus, mushrooms
- Saturday–Salmon with veggie risotto and citrus beurre blanc
- Sunday–Egg salad on toast
- Monday–Tomato and cheese pizza, salad
- Tuesday–Omelettes, salad