I think part of me is on a mission to figure out how many cozy flavor combinations I can make into oatmeal. I’m a big fan of bananas–banana pancakes, banana cream pie, banana pudding and, of course, banana bread. I am bananas for bananas!
This banana bread oatmeal uses steel-cut oats, organic bananas and raw honey to make a delicious, cozy oatmeal perfect for these last days of winter. My first attempt at creating this oatmeal worked out great–creamy with lots of banana flavor. The recipe below is for making overnight oatmeal in a crockpot, but you can make this on the stovetop as well.
Banana Bread Oatmeal (makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 medium organic bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups organic vanilla soy milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Chopped pecans
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, add all the ingredients except the pecans. Stir, cover and set heat at the lowest setting (I use the “keep warm” setting).
- Let cook for 6-7 hours. NOTE: banana slices may float to the top and the exposed sides will brown a bit.
- Stir and serve with chopped pecans on top.