Well, the Denver Broncos are finished for the season and I am sad.
It was a fun season and I enjoyed wearing my John Elway jersey every Sunday. But life goes on and I’ll have fun watching how the rest of the season progresses. I love football and I love football season food. One thing I am not sad about is the amount of fresh vegetables we froze and put up this past summer. What a wonderful gift we have given ourselves this winter! We made this chili to watch Denver’s final game using our frozen summer tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, sweet peppers and onions to make this three pepper chili. This chili is packed with protein from organic kidney and black beans as well as ground beef from Rare Earth Farm. You could also add carrots and other vegetables as well and adjust the seasonings to your own taste (I like my chili hot).
Great on a cold day, even better if your team is winning 🙂
Three Pepper Chili
- 1 organic onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of organic garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 sweet peppers, trimmed and chopped (or 1 bell pepper)
- 2 smoked chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
- 1 lb. of ground beef (preferably local and hormone free)
- 2 cans organic red kidney beans, undrained
- 1 can organic black beans, undrained
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. dried chili pepper
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Add chopped onions and garlic. Cook until transparent, lowering heat if garlic begins to brown (or you can remove the garlic and add it back in with the tomatoes).
- Add the ground beef and brown.
- Add the peppers and cook an additional 5-8 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomatoes, beans and dried seasonings and simmer for 30 minutes. Check for seasoning and correct if necessary.
- Serve with shredded pepper jack cheese or a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.