Welcome to 2013! How are you feeling this morning? Energized and excited about the new year? Worried about the fiscal cliff? Hung over? I, for one, can’t figure out where last year went–it was a blur of activity, but it was a lot of fun.
If you are new to this blog, I’ll explain that each week I will post our seasonal menu and our food budget for the week (our goal is under $100). This budget includes food, but not other household goods like laundry detergent or paper towels. Along the way, I’ll also post recipes and information about what is season at the markets here in central North Carolina, new food research or food issues that come up, etc.
Ready? Here goes Week 1!
Budget [Total $69.52]
- Coon Rock Farm (collard greens cabbage, Italian sausage): $12.00
- Fickle Creek Farm (eggs): $4.50
- Locals Seafood (shrimp): $10.00
- Other farmers market (sweet potatoes, broccoli, onions): $7.00
- Trader Joes (frozen fruit, coconut oil, olive oil, cannellini beans, Ezekiel bread, noodles): $36.02
What are we eating for $69.52? Here is our menu for Week !!
- Tuesday–Collard greens, hoppin’ john, corn bread
- Wednesday–Shrimp pad thai w/local shrimp, veggies and peanuts
- Thursday–Homemade pizza night w/farmer’s market ingredients
- Friday–Stuffed sweet potatoes and leftovers
- Saturday–Leftover ribollita soup